Thursday, April 29, 2010

Clueless Customers Who Can't Give Directions

"Where are you located??  I'm on (example) I-70, exit 72, Ohio.  I need truck route directions to your place." says I.

"Oh, dear...I don't know how to tell you to get here.  I drive here everyday but I don't pay attention to the street names.  Let me see if I can find someone to help you." says clueless customer lady in the clueless cutomer's office while she rumbles around asking, off-phone, if anyone can give directions.

Seriously??  The above is just the NICE version of what usually happens.  I've had clueless customers spout off directions so fast once and then just hang up!  I'll call back and pretend that my silly cellphone (hey, I do what I have to) must have cut out and could they repeat the directions again??  I've also had clueless customers get mad at me and tell me that I should just KNOW where the hell they are and hang up.  Let me see, my intuition is out of whack at the moment and I don't know, you stoopid twit!!  Do you want your friggin' freight or not???  Hmmmm???  I'm waiting!! 

Then, I gotta say, there are the customers who have nice direction lines, although some of them could use some work but still, they are direction lines, I can always call back or loop it.  Or the good customer who actually has the directions written down somewhere on their desk/wall and will ask where I'm coming from and give good directions.  I always make sure to thank them and let them know how much I appreciate their thoughtfulness.

As for Garmin??  Furgeddaboutit (or however you spell that).  I finally turned the damn thing off, just sits on my dash, looking forlorn.  It has sent me to some seriously wrong places, so I'd rather not mess with it. 

I do have Trips and Streets, and even though it's for 4 wheelers, it's turned out to be pretty dang reliable!  Sometimes it takes the long way but I get paid by the mile, I'm good with that!! 

Anyway, back to the clueless customer.  About the best advice I can think of is to just be pro-active and develop your arsenal of excuses or whatever it takes to get decent directions out of your customers!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)