Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Trucking Women Wearing Skimpy Clothes And Other Thoughts

This is one of those subjects that seems to have an answer plain as day, but, I'm guessing some need some helpt to see the light.

I've been reading online about the rape and violence towards female truckers.  I was a solo driver for quite a while before I met my hubby at a Swift terminal,  so I think what is forthcoming has some validity.  Feel free to correct me. 

But, there is an old saying that the clothes make the man, well, the clothes (and mannerisms) can make the woman too.  If a woman is out and about in skimpy or revealing clothes, then, seems to me, she really can't make a valid claim of guys bothering her.  Of course, she can wear whatever she wants but guys are guys and hardwired to think certain things.  All guys do!!  There are certain guys who never learned to control themselves and push the boundaries of good conduct.   "No" still means "No" but if she's wearing Daisy Dukes and a skimpy tank top with nary a bra, what do you think a guy is going to think and maybe push his luck?? 

In my mind, female truckers would do better if they dressed like they were in a serious job and saved the skimpy clothes for other times.  In a truck, driving or being a passenger ain't it. 

Personally, I don't mind a compliment or a wolf whistle (I've had a few over the years but as I age, they don't seem to come as often) and I like a guy to hold the door for me when I enter the truckstop.  But that's when it all stops.  Your demeanor and clothes say alot about you and how you come across.  Trucking is a serious business and I feel women should dress it. 

The idea that we female truckers are victims of mean guys isn't cutting it.  We are NOT victims!!  We are equal to the guys!!   Because we are the fairer sex, we have to work harder and longer than the guys to gain their respect.  That means respect for yourself too.  Think before you invite some guy up close to your truck or have dinner with him.

If some guy is too pushy, and I've had it happen to me at the fuel island (of all places), you can shut him down in a New York minute.  You don't have to fall for anything or believe you have to do as he says.  Go about your business of fueling or eating and give off a 'don't bother me' attitude.  Don't give out your phone number to just anyone.  Safeguard your FB or Twitter accounts. 

Okay, I'm kind of off course a bit but my point it is, wear appropriate clothing and have an attitude of 'don't mess with me'.  It'll pay off. 

If you are a victime of rape, call the cops first thing and get to a hospital.  If it's violence, leave the guy immediately, if not sooner.  If you stay, I feel that you may be a bit culpable in the future, because it will happen again. 

Now, get out there and stay safe!!  Use your head and THINK!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)