Monday, March 22, 2010

Stuck On I-40 In A Snowstorm

Yup, I got to spend the night right on the asphalt in my lovely KW in the middle of New Mexico a few days ago.

Turns out, just west of the Flying C whatever-it-is, there is a bear of a hill and some big rigs, a salt truck and a car or two biffed it and shut down the freeway. Someone was killed, sad to say, and the coroner had to be called.

I KNEW we should have pulled over in the Flying C but stubborness kept us going. "It'll get better"...yeah, I've said that a few times and this time it bit me, big time!!

We had stopped at Tucumcari at the Flying J to swap drivers and the snow was spitting then but we bravely (or stupidly, whichever you like) soldiered on. So, that is how we got to spend the night on the Interstate.

One thing that bothered and slightly scared me was after my hubby had stopped, he set the brakes and we STILL slid a bit over the ice. Only after the heat of the tires melted the ice through to the macadam did the rig stop sliding!! I could just see us plowing into the trailer ahead of us!! Or someone sliding into us. THAT was a bit scary.

The next day, hubby started out driving (he's better on ice than I am) and then we traded drivers at Albuquerque. I drove for a while and said that it feels like we don't have much in the way of brakes. Stopped in Winslow and turns out the ice and snow had weighted down our air lines and actually snapped one of them!! Called the repair guy and he fixed it pronto. Disaster averted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)