Sunday, October 10, 2010

Those Stoopid Points

I'm talkin' about the points that are *ahem* awarded when you get stopped or pulled in and the DOT twit finds things wrong with your rig. 

I don't know who to believe on them.  I got pulled in at Cottonwood (CA) and the guy found FOUR things wrong with my rig!  He said there were points to go with them.  I could just see my license flying away on gilded wings.  Also, the points are retro-active for three years.  I'm sunk, sunk, sunk if that's true...

As an aside, we are sooooo careful with our rig.  If our company mechanic can't get to a problem pronto, we head to the nearest Petro or TA and have it taken care of ASAP.  No sliding by for us!! 

Then, about a week and a half later, the Nevada DOT stopped me (72 hour checkpoints....grrrrr....) and found TWO more!!  But when I asked about how many points would go on my license, he said that it was still in court and would be another year before the Judge would decided.  The DOT officer (who was actually pretty nice and he was right, there were two overlooked boo-boos on my trailer) said that it's not fair that a company driver (that would be us) would get clocked for nicks and dings on a company rig.  Especially the intermodal guys who trade trailers every day. 

Okay, so who do I believe??  I've been reading on some trucking sites that the points are good NOW.  I haven't received anything in the mail and guess I'll keep going till I get my quota of points and have to go home or I can keep driving till retirement, which is looking better all the time...

I'll keep going till I have to quit.  That will be a sad day for hubby and me... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)