Sunday, October 17, 2010

It's Getting Cold, Winter's A-Coming!!

Okay, everyone, especially you ladies, the word(s) of the day are "Be Prepared For The Worst".

Make sure you have plenty of water on your truck.  Wal-Mart has gallon water for a whopping $.88.  No reason not to have water.  If you can't get into a Wmart, the truckstops have water, just for a  lot more money but better to pay and have it than to do without.

Keep your truck topped off on fuel.  Ya never knows when you'll get stuck on the Interstate and have to idle overnight.  That has happened to me just last winter! 

Your windshield wipers should get a look-see and make sure they are in tip-top shape. 

A good coat AND hat are a must.  A hat will help keep you warm when you are outside checking on a flat tire or doing a PTI.  It goes without saying, waterproof boots of some sort are de rigour.  Nothing worse than wet/damp feet.  Wool sockies are great but I find that for everyday, they dry out my feet, so I go with cotton socks.  The wool ones are saved for the really tough days outside.  Layer your clothes, not just a t-shirt and a bulky coat.  You want to stay warm and insulated at all times but don't get too hot.  If you layer, you can shed a layer when needed or put a layer on. 

Windshield wiper fluid must be keep up.  Also, keep a bottle of Windex handy for when you have to climb outside to clean your windshield.  I have found that Windex works the best of all products.  The cheaper brands seem to leave streaking.  I guess the Windex dries faster, so, hence, no streaking and that means less work for you!!  My sort of deal! 

When you stop in at Wmart or your store of choice, get some food to keep on your truck.  I keep soups and tuna fish, bread, crackers, my diet Pepsi, coffee, teas, ravioli and such stuff as this.  I have a small microwave and coffeepot for coffee and hot water. 

Make sure your inverters are working properly and not grounding out.  They are cheap enough that if they don't work right, toss it and buy a new one. 

All your lights should be working and it behooves you to check them.  Nothing like getting ran over by another rig who didn't see you to keep you lighted up. 

Okay, as usual, I'll probably think of other things later but this is something I've wanted to post for a while.  The idea is to be prepared and self-suffincient and don't count on others help.  You gotta do for yourself if you get in a jam and be able to think your way out of it. 

Okay, now get out there and be safe, everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. This is Sam from MJ's....love your blog and one of my first things I wanted to be when I was little was a BIG truck driver. I lived on a street just behind the main street in town and trucks would come through and I would listen to them at night when I was trying to fall asleep and I would try to imagine where they were going and where they had come from. There was a corner they had to turn sharply coming through town so I would listen to them shifting gears although I didn't know what that was...I was less than 5 at the time but those sounds put me to sleep at night.
    Anyway.....I love this! I want to hear all about your life on the road! One of my favorite shows is Ice Road Truckers too! You Go girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)