Tuesday, December 13, 2011

We're Being Paid To Sit, Waiting For The Load

The best of all worlds!!  Being paid to sit on our bum while the customer is paying us to sit tight.

How did this happen, you ask??

Read on!

We picked up a load in MS and hauled tuchie to Vancouver, WA.  We got there yesterday morning, took off the chains (it's a machine), and, then, one of the unloaders noticed the machine didn't have an eye thingy on the underside.  That eye thingy is very important for the safety of the crew when they use it. 

So, the owner was having a thrombo (don't blame him one bit) and we sat, waiting for somethig to happen.  The owner was making call and after call and finally someone from a local shop showed up.  They conversed quite a bit.  It was decided we would move it forward, put the old machine on the skateboard (my trailer), that had the eye thingy, and we'd haul it to the local shop for a swap type deal. 

We got to the shop, unchained, waited for unloading.  I thought it'd be a couple of hours job and we'd reload and go on our merry way.  The shipper wanted the old machine back, in case I didn't make that clear.  Anywho, a guy came by and I asked him how long would it be...

"Oh, two or three days at least."

WHAT??

So, quite a few more calls went on, most notably between us and our office and the customers' broker.

Turns out, we are to wait for the machine to be fixed, then haul it back to MS.  But, the best part is we are being paid to sit here.  Not as much as if we were moving down the road, but, it's still money.  We can get caught up on sleep and do a load or two of laundry. 

I can deal with sitting still but after a while, it will start to weigh on my mind and I won't be happy.  Paycheck or no paycheck.  We'll see how it goes.

If it takes too long, I guess we can get another load somewhere but I'd rather take this one...We shall see, we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)