Sunday, January 9, 2011

Two Big Rigs Crashed On The Grapevine

We were southbound at the bottom of the Grapevine, in California, and noticed the northbound side was backed up.  Then we saw the cranes and maybe it was the Fire Department. 

The traffic was backed up for at least 10 miles and I was going to be a bit of a smart-@ss about stoopid drivers wrecking and causing the rest of us to be delayed. 

Then, I found out that one of the drivers had died when his rig burst into flames and he was burned.  There isn't anything funny about that, even if he caused the accident, which I'm not sure who did what, just two big rigs crashed coming down the mountain.

I'm fairly certain that one of the drivers smoked his brakes, ran into the other truck and caused the wreck.  In that area, the Highway Patrol is a real stickler for the 35 mph and you better not go a mile over the limit.  So, something had to happen that caused this wreck.  I'm surprised the HP didn't detect them or him and make him go into the runaway lanes. 

Just horrible and so sad for the families.  I don't know about the other driver, just heard about the driver that died. 

Be safe out there and drive defensively. 

1 comment:

  1. The driver didnt die he was saved by two local guys from Lebec. I know their friend. But both drivers and rescuer went to hospital with burns. My family has been in trucking here since late 50s, always got to watch it there. Like your blog.
    -John

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)