Sunday, May 9, 2010

Union Shops, The Death Of America

When we take a load, if I suspect it's a union shop, I try to get out of taking the load.  Most times I have to take the load anyway but I'd rather not. 

To load or unload takes forever.  You have to deal with breaks, lunches and just flat obstinate idiots who know they hold the power in their grubby hands and are going to make you wait.

The worst, IMHO, is Boeing in Seattle.  Once I had to unload there and it was a 20 minute unload, simple and easy.  It took them a whopping three hours to unload!!  Of course, I made the forklift guy mad and I'm pretty sure he took his sweet time. 

Another one is a shop in Louisville and I had to wait till the next day to get loaded and it took them about 5 hours to load some steel.  With all the breaks and shift changes, I thought we'd might as well move in and take up residence. 

Another one, I went to some place out in the middle of nowhere where they were building a power plant of some sort.  A bunch of guys were sitting off to the side, doing nothing.  The guardshack lady told me that they came to work every day and sat around all day, doing nothing, and then went home and did the same the next day.  I was appalled.  As usual, it took forever to get unloaded. 

What is with this??  I can do without unions for the loading and unloading.  I will avoid union places to the best of my ability.  They take too long and it messes with my logbook.  "Change your logbook" they tell me.  Um, oh, hell no!!  The DOT can do more to me than a union shop can and with the way the DOT is getting more power, I'm not messing with them!! 

America was built with blood, sweat and tears, not sitting on your butt and collecting big bucks for nothing.  I guess, if I were smart, I'd join a union and do the same but something in me wants to work honestly for my money and be proud I did a good job.  I can't do nothing and then get compensated for same and feel good about myself.  Just can't do it.

Unions can go the way of the Do-Do bird and it wouldn't bother me a bit.  Have I made myself clear?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)