Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Why Are Most Amish Horses Thin Or Skinny??

Let me start off by saying that I have seen some fat, shiny ones but overall, they are on the thin side, if not worse.

I know this doesn't have to do with trucking but being that I'm a cowgirl and horsewoman through and through, it bothers me no end to see a horse with ribs and bones sticking out all over.  On the scale, they come out at about a 3 or so.  That is tooooo thin!

People keep telling me that the Amish look at them as instruments only, something to do work, and that's that.  Still, throwing some feed to keep them fat wouldn't hurt one bit. 

Personally, if it wasn't for no internet or electricity, I could go for the Amish lifestyle but I can't abide the thin horses.  I've delivered to their places of busines (really, it was a store) and farms and for the most part, the horses could use a couple of hundred pounds. 

Now in Goshen, Indiana, I did see some fat little boogers, particularly one cute Hackney pony who was perky and shiny and at a trot, his knees came up to bump his chin whiskers!!  He was adorable!  I would have loved to loaded him right up and tote him to my home. 

But, overall, they seem to thin to me.  A good worming or two would do wonders too. 

Okay, rant over...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Since I'm not always 'on' the 'puter, I have to wait till I'm in buckshot of the 'net somewhere. This may take some time so don't despair if you don't see your post immediately. I'll get around to it...or not. :-)